ProctorU: Overview and Technology Requirements
NOTE: At this time, ProctorU is only available with a limited number of online courses. If you are taking an online course that offers a ProctorU option, this will be announced in your course syllabus.
ProctorU is an online proctoring service that allows students to take exams online while ensuring the integrity of the exam for the institution. The service uses proctors who monitor exam takers in three ways. ProctorU proctors
- Authenticate the test taker’s identity to ensure that the person being monitored is the correct student.
- Observe the test taker via a webcam. The student is connected to a real person who guides him/her through the process.
- Watch the test taker's screen in real time and can see everything the student is doing both at the location and on screen.
- A minimum of 72-hour notice is required to schedule an online exam with ProctorU.
- All appointments should be made at least 3 days in advance, since reservations made within 72 hours of your exam are subject to a $5 late reservation fee.
- The exam can be taken online at your convenience, at a specified date and time.
- The exam is a timed, online exam (see the exam description in your course syllabus for course-specific exam time limits).
- Two forms of photo ID, along with a webcam, microphone, and computer with Internet connection are required.
- Exams proctored through ProctorU cost $14.75 (1-hr. exam), $21.50 (90-min. and 2-hour exam), or $30.25 (3-hour exam) billed when you schedule the exam. This fee covers the entire testing experience regardless of how much actual time it takes to complete the exam.
- Refunds are given if the exam is canceled within 48 hours before the scheduled exam time.
- PC: A reliable computer running Windows XP or higher with 500 MB of RAM or higher
- Mac: A reliable computer running Mac OS 10 or higher
Other technical specifications
- Webcam with 640x480 video pixel resolution
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer
- Microphone connected to the computer (we recommend having a webcam that has a built-in microphone)
- Reliable high speed Internet connection (minimum 768 Kbps/128 Kbps)
- Web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed (Flash Player 10 or higher recommended)
- Authority to allow remote access to your computer and screen by one of our proctors
Is your system ready? Take the ProctorU System Test.