Chairing a Collaborate Session
When and why would I be chairing a session?
- Student Lounge (or Study Lounge), a 24/7 Collaborate meeting space, has been set up for each course to allow any student in the course to chair a meeting with other students in that course.
- Class Presentation: Further, you may be asked by your instructor to present to other participants during regular live class sessions., who can elect to give you special moderator privileges.
Acting as a Session Chair
One of the most common tasks people perform when chairing a session is to share a PowerPoint presentation, an application, a document, or website with the other participants. Below is an overview of some tools and options. Which option you choose is up to you and/or your instructor, based upon your comfort with the technology and your needs for the presentation. The instructions for using each option are presented below.
What can I do as a session chair?
- Loading a PowerPoint File (PDF 3 pages)
- Using the Whiteboard (PDF 2 pages)
- Using Application Sharing (PDF 4 pages)
- Using Web Tour (PDF 2 pages)
Other Tools/Features to Know
- Maximum Simultaneous Talkers—when using the audio chat function, it is important to note the number of participants who are allowed to speak at a time is variable. Use Tools->Audio->Maximum Simultaneous Talkers to allow the desired number of participants.
- Audio Setup Wizard—to ensure your audio is properly configured, use the audio setup wizard (Tools->Audio->Audio Setup Wizard) ahead of time.
- User controls—these allow you to allow/disallow audio, chat, whiteboard, and video camera sharing permission for other users.