NOTE: Elluminate was recently acquired by Blackboard. Therefore, during the transition, Elluminate pages may contain either the name "Elluminate Live!" "Blackboard Collaborate," or both.
Elluminate is a real-time (synchronous) web conferencing tool. With Elluminate, you can dynamically interact with your classmates and your course instructor using text chat messages and/or two-way voice. Elluminate also provides whiteboard tools to enable collaboration between you and your classmates, including sharing desktop applications, and uploading PowerPoint presentations.
Depending upon the needs of your course, there are as many as three types of Elluminate Live! web conferencing rooms available to you:
- Virtual Office: a virtual conference room where you may chat live with your instructor during specified office hours.
- Study Lounge: a virtual conference room specifically reserved for student use and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can use it to collaborate on group projects, study for exams together, etc.
- Course Sessions: many courses offer live class sessions that also use the Elluminate Live! web conferencing system. If your class includes live class sessions, these sessions will be indicated in your course syllabus.
- Check your system compatibility. In Step 1, your system will be tested to ensure your version of Java is compatible with Elluminate.
- Follow "Step 2: Configuring your system" after accessing the link. This will download the Elluminate components to your machine and ensure proper functionality by helping you configure your connection and audio settings.
- After completing the system check, you can access the Student Lounge inside one of your courses as well as other Elluminate sessions.
- For security reasons, any Elluminate session you enter may be recorded or monitored.